UAE-based JA Resorts & Hotels reveals the first look of the designs of its latest venture, JA Eclipse Beach Resort, in Sri Lanka. The group announced the development of a premium tropical beach resort in Kathiraveli on the East Coast of Sri Lanka in partnership with the Gravity Resort Group (GRG) last year– strengthening JA Resorts & Hotels’ international expansion plans in the Indian Ocean. It is scheduled to break ground on the site this summer and complete the luxury project in 2018.
JA Resorts & Hotels is an experienced player in hospitality in the Indian Ocean and successfully operates the luxurious JA Manafaru and Enchanted Island Resorts in Maldives and Seychelles, respectively. JA’s first foray in to international markets, Enchanted Island Resort, was launched in December 2013, rapidly followed by JA Manafaru in November 2014. The resorts have garnered numerous international accolades since their launch; including JA Manafaru being titled ‘Indian Ocean's Leading Hotel Suite’ and ‘Maldives' Leading Hotel Suite’, and Enchanted Island Resort receiving the title of ‘Seychelles' Leading Luxury Hotel Villa 2016’ at the recent World Travel Awards™ 2016 that took place earlier this month. The group’s experience in the Indian Ocean is now furthered by the development of JA Eclipse Beach Resort in Sri Lanka. GRG is funding the development of US$ 30 million while JA Resorts & Hotels is responsible for consultation, and ultimately management of the completed resort.
The resort’s architecture and interiors reflect the award-winning style of JA Resorts & Hotels and also imbibe aesthetic inspiration from elements indigenous to Sri Lanka. Local design features such as laterite stone walls, wood teak ceiling, veneer teak walls, split granite and rich vibrant Sri Lankan textiles have been incorporated in to the design. The natural elements add a sense of warmth and exotic appeal to the tropical beach property.
The designs were revealed amidst much anticipation at Arabian Travel Market 2016, being held in Dubai. The development marks the first 5-star luxury tourist destination to be developed on the East Coast of Sri Lanka – a jewel in the Indian Ocean that since 2009 has seen rapid growth in tourist numbers. According to statistics revealed by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA), Sri Lanka received a record-breaking 1.8 million tourist arrivals in the island in 2015, an increase of 17.8 percent from the previous year.
“We are extremely proud to be the first UAE-based hospitality company to develop and manage the first ever luxury resort development on the Sri Lankan East Coast,” said David Thomson, JA Resorts & Hotels Chief Operating Officer. “We are pleased to be able to reveal our development plans and thrilled at the enthusiastic response that the property’s design has received.” He added, “At JA Resorts & Hotels, we take great care to ensure that we surpass our guests’ expectations and we believe we’re on the path to creating a luxury destination that will deliver both an enchanting experience and our signature brand of heartfelt hospitality.”
Deepal Ahangama, Gravity Resort Group’s Director, commented, “We are excited to reveal the resort’s conceptual look and exceptionally pleased with our partnership with JA Resorts & Hotels on this project. We place great trust in their management capabilities and are proud to be associated with a partner that embodies our values for excellence in customer service and design.”
Highlights of JA Eclipse Beach Resort include:
William Harley–Fleming – Group Development Director, JA Resorts & Hotels added, “We are extremely excited to have completed the design and development of this landmark resort and plan to have a technical service team in the region for this project and to initiate discussions on other potential management opportunities in the area within the next few months”.
- 33 acres of unspoilt greenery with a beach front of 450 metres
- Easy access, with direct road access along the Trincomalee Highway it is well positioned between the key cities of Trincomalee and Batticaloa, which are 60 and 70 kilometres away, respectively – in addition, seaplane and other modes of transfer will be offered to guests to ensure their arrival to the resort is part of the experience
- Initial capacity of 105 luxurious suites and villas nestled within lush landscape
- 6 key room categories, ranging from the more conventional resort suites and villas to luxurious tree-top suites and a royal island suite, all designed to be in keeping with the beauty of Sri Lanka
- Waterways around the resort, consisting of featured free-form swimming pools, private villa pools, water features and an eclipse pier over the Indian Ocean featuring a relaxed lounge bar with stunning views of sunset over the resort
- 8 food and beverage outlets, from casual daytime venues to speciality restaurants for evening meals – in addition, a host of private venues will also be on offer from tree-top, beach and poolside dining
- Fully equipped watersports centre and PADI dive centre, offering nitrox diving
- Various kids clubs will ensure all children from 4 months to 16 years of age are fully catered for
- A spa and wellness centre, including a spa retail area, hair salon, hydro pools, steam rooms, sauna and a herbal infused relaxation garden